On the18th Earthquake Safety Day National Meeting and Launching of National Reconstruction Mega Campaign, Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli launched “Bungmati Area Reconstruction” as one very first activity of National Reconstruction Mega Campaign in Bungmati, Lalitpur, in the presence of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Physical Planning and Transport Bijay Kumar Gachhadar and other dignitaries along with the locals. Various organizations had their works on display which were a part of their response to the Nepal earthquake 2015 including NSET, CIUD and others along with UN-Habitat as a major contributor. Amongst all these active organizations, SONA was also able to showcase its contribution to Bungamati community in the form of 3 individual designs which was the result of several meetings with the community of Bungamati and hard work of REBUILDING NEPALESE HOMES: SONA’S EARLY INTERVENTION DESIGN INITIATIVE program Committee – Historic Settlement. This committee had Ar. Arun Dev Pant as a Chair and Ar. Amit Bajracharya as coordinator and other members were Salena Sangachhe, Siddhartha Gautam, Swasti Bhattarai, Sunita Manandhar, Sushmita Ranjit Shrestha. The SONA posters spoke volumes on the preservation of historical settlement by combining new building technology with traditional building forms.
First of all, I take this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude and sincere thanks to all the Members of the society of Nepalese Architects (SONA) for having elected me to this position of SONA President of the 12-executive committee. Also, I congratulate all the members of 12 executive committee on being elected in their different post
While I am fully aware of the heavy responsibility involved at the same time I am sure that with the wholehearted support of my executive committee members and advisory board members and the co-operation of all the members I shall be able to fulfill the aspirations of members of the SONA, in the true professional sprit and we shall all continue to work together towards professional togetherness.
The profession of the Architecture takes care of one of the most basic needs of mankind, “ the shelter”for every activity on this earth.. As defined profession of “Architecture is way of living” thus in this era of change, SONA should establish the distinct identity of Architecture in Nepalese society by establishing Architectural value in the society…
While looking ahead we not only have to bring it to logical conclusion all that is in the pipeline, but SONA has a vision that should more than match the challenges that lie ahead in the coming years
Some of the programs that we envision during our tenure include
- To take further concrete steps to safeguard public interest in Urban Affairs not only in the Metropolitan Cities but also in small towns across the country
- To make conscious efforts to look after the problems of the Employed Architect in Government and Private Sector and to improve their service conditions
- To strengthen and develop liaison with school of Architect, Universities and work for achieving higher standards in Architectural Education
- To arrange conferences and seminars to evolve a National Opinion on Architects Role, create public awareness and also to secure effective representation on local Authorities to formulate / update development regulations and building bye-laws
- To establish regional chapters of SONA in major cities such as Pokhara, Biratnagar, Nepalgunj and Birgunj.
- To organize ARCASIA round table on relevant topics such as Green and Sustainable Architecture, Professional Practice.etc and also to activate SONA members for their participation in different international programs organized by member countries
- To make SONA Website an effective and nodal mean of communication to be successful in reaching out to Architects and all concerned
The society, the Government and public opinion are also very much part of our world. To realize our goals it is necessary to guide and sometime also pressure the decision making level with our active participation at Government implementation program. SONA is fully conscious of the problems faced by the Architects particularly in regard to tendering, competitions and practice of profession by non-Architects. There is an urgent need of a proactive approach by all the Architects in a spirit of togetherness to ensure that the right to practice the profession lawfully restricted to architects only as in the case of other professions such as medicine. Law, Medicine etc,
Fellow Architects, it is time to start thinking positive and start doing positive as we cannot wait for someone to start, something to happen. It is true that it is difficult but is not impossible to achieve whatever we think or whatever we together aim for.
I am sure, with the continued sense of professional togetherness included in the recent past and also with your active participation and interest in the policies and programmers of the SONA, we shall be able to meet the challenges not only of the contemporary era but also that lie ahead in the coming decades.
LET US CONTINUE TO WORK TOWARDS PROFESSIONAL TOGETHERNESS
Prof. Suman Vaidya
12 Executive Committee
Dear SONA members,
This is the Reminder Call for papers for Nepali speakers for SAARCH Conference, 2016 which is going to be held in Kathmandu in January, 2016. Please find the call for paper and the detail of the Theme for the papers attached herewith.
1. This is purely for the officially general members of SONA who has renewed their membership till date (fiscal year 072/073) or, life members only.
2. This is basically the experience sharing in terms of architectural approaches for the resilience in various sectors (only for the member architects.)
3. EXCEPT SAARCH Registered Member Architectural Institutes; Other Institutional participation are not entertained.
Dear Architects Member,
Due to the present critical condition of Nation, the 21st SONA Annual General Meeting which was scheduled for 15 th Ashwin,2072 (2nd October 2015) at Royal Banquet, Tinkune, Kathmandu has been postponed until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenient caused.
11th Executive Committee
Dear SONA members,